Not only is a free invoice app easy on the bank account, but it’s also easy to use. The best invoicing app has all the characteristics you need to quickly convert quotes and projects into invoices to send to clients and get paid immediately.
In the world of continuous headway, find an invoicing software or a POS billing software that is tailored to your needs.
Looking for Billing and Invoicing Software? Check out SoftwareSuggest’s list of the best Billing and invoicing software solutions.
Invoice is meant to be the most natural part of a business, but it still consumes most of the business owner’s time. Invoicing apps have numerous features that make your cumbersome and unpaid invoicing tasks simple and easy to complete.
Right from the creation of tasks, invoice management, accounting, and team management, invoicing apps can make the job easy for you by automating everything.
What is a Free Invoice App?
Invoicing software is a tool that automates billing for generated services and products. You will be able to send your customers an invoice with a list of your services and products and their related costs with this tool. These invoices are commonly made using ready-made templates, which are generally professional-looking ones, which makes the process much easier.
The invoice templates with the best free invoice app make the invoicing process easier, faster, and more efficient for your company. You can also save invoice templates, as these are professionally designed to make the entire invoicing process easy, fast, and beneficial for your organization.
Every year, many enterprises switch to e-invoicing software because of such functionalities. In addition, invoice software reduces processing time and costs compared to traditional paper invoices.
What Are The Features Of The Best Free Invoice App?
Even though invoice solutions vary widely in terms of characteristics, target uses, and pricing, they share some characteristics. Therefore, free invoicing software should include these:
1. New Invoice Creation
Ensures that clean and professional invoices are produced that can be customized to correspond to your brand. The system should allow the integration of the project, timesheet, and customer information.
2. Creates Customer Records
This feature allows you to upload suitable files and translate customer information into a centralized database with search filters for effortless access to customer details.
3. Process Credit Cards
It is essential that your free billing app can handle credit cards promptly and allow you to manage recurring billings and clients. Some systems even enable your clients to auto-bill their credit cards so they won’t miss a payment.
4. Predefined Templates
As important as the accuracy of your bills and invoices is how they look, which is why a sound system should provide a variety of predefined communication templates that will save you time and allow you to personalize your accounting.
5. Numerous Currency Settings
Similar to your primary financial functions, this feature allows you to seamlessly integrate your billing and invoicing software with the remainder of your software architecture. For firms with multinational operations, multiple currency settings are critical for issuing receipts, accepting payments, and managing taxes.
6. Invoice, Payment, & Tax Report
You should be able to perform tax reporting within the same system without using external systems. Using a free invoice app will eradicate the need to use external systems.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Free Invoice App?
Invoice apps have a wide range of advantages for all kinds of businesses. Along with efficiently handling all invoice-related duties, the best invoicing software should also deliver the following benefits.
1. Keep Late Payments to a Minimum
A free invoice app can streamline your process and ensure you get and receive payments on time. By organizing your data and schedules, you can have your collections on point and boost your profits.
2. Reduce Missed Payments
You can dodge missing out on payments by accurately observing and following your billing commitments through your invoicing software, leading to higher net profits and healthier financial statements.
3. Maintain a Professional Image
You can boost your company’s reputation by choosing the best free invoice software. Most software offers customization options for logos and other design improvements to payments and invoices.
4. Automate Tasks
When you reduce staff in the invoicing and billing department, you save time that would otherwise be spent following up with late payers and trying to get them to pay on time. In addition, quicker invoice payments increase cash flow, while shorter timeframes in fixing and resolving errors enhance customer relations.
5. Prevent Fraud & Improve Security
The best free invoice software offers bank-grade protection features to safeguard the billing-to-payment process from hackers or snooping eyes. This is far safer than manually preparing invoices and sending them via email attachments.
What Is The Objective Of A Free Invoice App?
The best free invoicing app helps businesses create customized and professional-looking invoices by automating the entire invoicing process. In addition, it allows them to send invoices to their customers immediately via email. As a result, the whole invoicing process is streamlined, improving the company’s financial health.
With the best free invoice app, you can automate your accounts receivable management and accept credit and debit card payments.
Using free invoicing software, you can generate reports which give you invaluable information about your company’s financial health. In addition, invoicing software will help you track payments, match deadlines, resolve outstanding invoices, and pursue compensation.
In addition to exporting automated reports into PDF, word, and excel files, you can also analyze historical data to find out how many sales invoices are due, how many invoices remain to be paid, and the average payment cycle time.
What Makes a Billing and Invoicing App Great?
Finding the best free billing software for your business is quite a task, so here are a few things that make a great billing and invoicing application.
- An application that supports integration with any of your accounting software to invoice and monitor your cash flow
- The more features, the better it is for your business. Some must-have ones are invoice generators, customizable templates, connectivity with payment gateways, etc.
- Easy user interface and interactive design to assist the business owners in understanding and carrying out invoicing processes
- Budget is considered when choosing the right billing app, as they can vary from multiple price ranges to paid features.
Top 20 Best Free Invoice & Billing Apps
myBillBook is one of the best free invoice apps. You can create & edit GST & non-GST professional invoices/bills, share them with your customers, and take thermal printouts. You can also easily convert quotations into bills & share them on WhatsApp. You can customize invoices with 10+ bill formats available to choose from. It is available on mobile & desktop.
- Professional GST & non-GST billing
- Faster payment collection via UPI
- Inventory management on-the-go
- Strategic decision making using business reports
- Capable of managing multiple businesses
- 100% safe & secure environment for business-related data
- User-friendly & robust GST software to help SMBs grow
- Make professional customized GST & non-GST bills within seconds
- Accurate inventory tracking with features like low stock reminders & stock adjustment
- Collect payments faster via UPI using WhatsApp payment reminders
- Take strategic business decisions using 10+ reports like GST reports, P&L, Stock & Party Ledger reports
- Share business cards & greetings to increase your professional network
- Not suitable for larger companies with an annual turnover of more than 1000crore
Plans for Android (mobile) –
- Forever free plan – Free
- Silver Plan – Rs 699 per year
- Diamond Plan – Rs 1699 per year
Plans for Desktop –
- Forever free plan – Free
- Diamond Plan – Rs 1699 per year
- Platinum Plan – Rs 2899 per year
- Custom Plan – Contact myBillBook for pricing
- Automated invoicing and dunning management to streamline the billing process
- Customer portal and payment pages are responsive with customizable themes and fields
- Chargebee provides subscription management with metered billing feature to aid customers to only pay for their use
- Get insights about all the metrics that give you comprehensive details about your business
- Multiple payment options that include offline payment, cash, checks and more
- Simple and interactive interface for smooth processing
- Easy integration with any licensing tools
- Flexible coupons are an added advantage
- Chargebee allows the users to extend their expired cards
- The customizable billing cycle for recurring billing
- Mobile optimized interface does not exist
- The dashboard is not customizable
- Email automation is not very strong
- Rise: $299/month – includes $50k/month revenue
- Scale: $599/month – includes $75k/month revenue
USP: Chargebee is known for its excellent customer support and customizable recurring billing cycles that aid the customers in all possible ways.
A minimalistic and user-friendly interface, along with a host of seamless billing and accounting features, makes QuickBooks one of the most popular free invoice apps among organizations worldwide.
- Customized professional invoicing
- Online banking integration for smooth transactions
- Advanced reporting options and navigable dashboards
- Cash flow management through automated recurring payments
- Time tracking of employee work hours
- Smart mobile app to enhance accessibility from smartphones
- Allows multiple user control for better team collaboration
- Cloud-hosted billing app that promotes better data security
- Free unlimited support and maintenance
- No free plan for sole accountants
- May appear quite complex for novice members as it as multiple menu options
- Annual subscription: Rs 4,999 inclusive of GST.
- It also offers a free 30 day trial period for users with their own data.
USP: QuickBooks facilitates core invoicing functionality through clean, clutter-free and visual features for better billing procedures.
4. Zoho Invoice
An innovative online invoice application, Zoho Invoice is designed to streamline billing processes in small to medium firms and enable payment collection from a single unified platform. Its robust platform and detailed reporting make it one of the best free invoicing apps.
- Automated bank feeds to align operations with regulations
- Multilingual and multicurrency invoice template options
- Schedule of recurring invoices
- Collaborative client portal for better access and support
- Customization of payment receipts
- Integration with multiple payment gateways for strong data security
- Visual dashboard to provide detailed analytical insights
- Complete freedom to customize invoice templates
- Automated workflows to eliminate manual billing processes
- Allows bulk payment directly through the client portal
- Not ideally suited for large enterprises
- Custom reporting options are slightly limited compared to similar market offerings
USP: Zoho Invoice is a one-stop solution – a recurring billing software that can be used to track billable hours, manage inventory, schedule payments and structure billing processes efficiently in organizations.
This is a very highly rated free invoicing app that caters to the smooth billing and accounting requirements of any kind of organization. FreshBooks features a comprehensive invoice-to-payment software suite and is very simple. This promotes quick adoption of the system, even by users not well-versed in technology.
- Structured expense management
- Monitors billable hours for more accurate client billing
- Online contact management and communication
- Powerful reporting and analytical capabilities
- Unified portal for invoice creation and payment collection
- Integration with a large number of third-party apps
- Mobile application to boost connectivity
- Intuitive dashboards that allow for better managerial decision making
- Robust automatic scheduled payment collection to save time and effort
- Better project management and team collaboration
- No invoice tags for customers
- No free plans for single users or small teams
- Lite: $15/ month for 5 clients
- Plus: $25/month for 50 clients
- Premium: $50/month for 500 clients
USP: FreshBooks is a comprehensive invoicing app that is best known for its intelligent visual interface, novel features, and economical pricing.
Invoicera dynamic is a free invoicing app that keeps business processes up-to-date by facilitating the creation of invoices on the move, tracking expenses, calculating billable hours, and structuring project management
- Customized workflow automation
- Generates and prints client reports for quick analysis
- Activity dashboard with real-time data updates
- Automatic notifications and reminders for recurring payments
- Third party accounting integration
- Multi-language and currency support for global transactions
- Integration with most popular payment gateways
- Allows multiple user control for better team collaboration
- Cloud-hosted bill application that promotes better team collaboration
- Professional invoicing templates and automated billing
- The software may have an interface that is complicated for new users
- Navigation is a bit tricky without the required support
- Classic: $19.95 per month (100 clients)
- Business: $39.95 per month (unlimited clients)
- Infinite: $99.95 per month(unlimited clients)
USP: Invoicera is diverse legal billing software that handles recurring payments, monitors employee hours and boosts the efficiency of billing practices.
7. INVOICE INDY
Invoice Indy offers an invoice tool for freelancers that fits into a full admin suite to make freelance life simpler. The Invoice tool does everything you need to create and send invoices, track and manage payments, and set up recurring billing for regular customers.
- Customizable invoice templates
- Connect to an easy-to-use time tracker
- Receive payment via multiple options
- Integrates with contracts and proposals
- Recurring invoice and late fee options
- Easy to use for ‘non-bookkeeper people’
- Connects to an entire admin workflow
- Payment via PayPal, Stripe, Zelle, credit card, or bank transfer
- Late fee setup is simple and helpful for late payments
- Time tracking for billable hours is super easy
- Not connected to a complete accounting package
- No support for bank feeds or connections
Invoice2go is a fully automated invoice app that eliminates administrative workload and improves customer experience by tracking billing hours accurately. You can also automate invoice reminders and status tracking to save time further.
- Updated mobile app for billing transactions on the move
- Easy creation, modification, and breakdown of statements
- Direct tracking of employee time entries
- Seamless currency and receipt management
- Integration with various payment gateways such as Paypal
- Personalization of design of invoice templates
- High level of financial data security through cloud backup
- Simple and intuitive dashboard
- Reliable customer service for support and maintenance
- Excellent mobile app for better productivity
- No live bank feeds
- Features may be limited compared to similar market variants
- Lite: up to $59.99/year (varies by location)
- Standard: $119.88 /year
- Advanced: $ 239.88/year
- Unlimited: $407.88/year
USP: Invoice2go facilitates effective billing through advanced invoice customizations, payment collections, and good customer support practices.
A widely popular online invoice app, Bill.com is an automated bookkeeping solution that structures the AP/AR processes for organizations, accountants, and virtual bookkeepers. It also gives you more visibility and control over your entire accounts.
- Automated accountable payments and accounts receivables
- Unified document storage
- Bill scheduling for recurring payments
- Cash flow management synchronized with in-house systems
- Email personalized invoices with periodic reminders
- User-friendly creation and modification of invoices
- Paperless internal controls for better efficiency
- User-friendly dashboard and excellent support team
- Integration with various third-party apps
- The price may act as a disadvantage for smaller firms
- The software may be slow to respond through multiple pages
- Essentials: $29 user/month
- Team: $39 user/month
- Corporate: $59 user/month
USP: Bill.com is the ideal choice and best invoice application for organizations as it offers a unique, stand-alone website based accounts payable and receivable service, with a host of revolutionary features.
Bill4Time is the best invoicing app that handles a diverse range of activities, such as time tracking, invoicing, and document storage, to provide superior service to bookkeepers and accounting firms.
- Extensive client management
- Time and expenses tracking
- Effective periodic scheduling for task flow management
- Convenient online payment for cash flow management
- Document management for quick and seamless data access
- Mobile app to boost universal accessibility from smartphones
- Complete transparency and high level of data security
- Comprehensive reporting with advanced analytics
- Unlimited software support and maintenance
- More features could be added for better user experience
- Better pricing plans could be introduced
- Legal Solo: $30/month
- Legal Pro: $50/month
- Legal Enterprise: $100/month
USP: Bill4Time is definitely one of the best invoice apps available in the market as it is a full-featured suite that can handle clients, projects, accounting needs and employee time tracking.
This is an easy-to-use, free invoice-maker app that serves as an invoicing tool for freelancers, accountants, and small organizations. Billdu boasts of a high degree of invoice template customization and aims to provide a holistic customer experience through state-of-the-art features.
- Automatic entry of recurring costs
- Invoice creation and editing
- Advanced estimate and order management for operational efficiency
- Business reporting capabilities and intuitive dashboards
- Multi-currency and language support
- Secured server -no threat of data breach or unauthorized access
- Ability to get customer ratings and feedback for improved service experience
- Integration with a wide number of payment gateways
- Cloud-hosted SaaS invoice app for better data accessibility and connectivity
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- Maybe expensive for certain clients
- The billing application tends to crash at times
Starter: 30 invoices annually: $1.99/month (1user)
Basic: 300 invoices annually: $7.99/month(1 user)
Premium: unlimited invoices: $14.99/month(10 users)
USP: Billdu is a cloud-based best invoice app that is a perfect platform to create invoices, manage online stores, track expenses and capture customer feedback, thus providing a unified invoicing solution.
12. Billy App
A minimalistic, yet the best invoicing app, Billy is designed with core accounting and sales automation capabilities to provide a holistic platform for bookkeepers, freelancers, and small-medium organizations.
- Unlimited brand invoices
- Automated bank syncing with over 9000 banks
- Mobile app and browser extension for importing receipts
- Double-entry accounting engine
- Estimate, order, and expense management
- Recurring invoice scheduling
- Multi-currency invoicing
- Clean and minimal template designs
- Advanced security and data encryption features
- Allows multiple user control for better team collaboration
- Analytical reporting and statistical capabilities
- No inventory management module
- Could improve design and integration functionality
USP: Billy App is a highly functional billing app and brings a host of novel features such as expense tracking, customized invoicing and expense management at very affordable prices.
13. Invoice Simple
Invoice Simple is a sophisticated and best free invoice app that performs a number of functions, thereby simplifying bookkeeping and accounting processes in organizations. It is the easiest free invoicing app that lets you create invoices in minutes.
- Unified billing portal
- Payment processing with automated reminders
- Scheduling recurring invoices
- Multiple payment gateway integrations
- Supplier and purchase order management
- Cloud-based deployment for universal connectivity
- A smart mobile app that enhances employee engagement
- Accurate employee time tracking to boost productivity
- Free unlimited client support and maintenance upgrades
- No customer feedback option
- Could offer more user customization options
- Canceling the subscription can be a headache
- Setting up the invoice head is complicated
InvoiceSimple has a free version available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch that can be used to prepare three invoices on your mobile device. Organizations can then upgrade to a monthly or annual subscription according to business requirements.
Monthly Subscription: S4.99 / month onwards
Annual Subscription: $49.99/month onwards
USP: Invoice Simple is one of the best invoice apps in the market, and helps organizations save time, money and manual efforts through its innovative features and economical pricing.
Harvest is a free invoicing app that provides time tracking, expense tracking, invoicing, time-based reporting, and more. By tracking the time, you can easily manage the progress of your team as well as your business.
- Time and expenses feature allows you to maintain a timesheet and track clients, projects and tasks
- With time tracking, team and projects can be monitored and managed
- Harvest automatically turns the billable time with time tracking and expenses into the invoice
- Users are allowed to generate team schedules and turn them into visual plans
- Manage your team by keeping a track on who worked, overworked or under-worked and on which projects
- Easy configuration and management
- Excellent time keeping that helps you keep a track on the ongoing projects and team
- Intuitive interface that does not create ambiguity and allows the user complete ease
- One of the best documenting expensing compared to other software
- Continuous addition of new features keeps Harvest updated and trending
- Harvest does not provide the option to pull out the previous day’s job data
- No real-time phone support is provided
- Free: 1 person, 2 projects
- Pro: Unlimited persons, unlimited projects, $12/person/month
USP: Harvest has an intuitive interface that the users love to use with the least effort, whether in the web browser, mobile application, chrome extension, or any interface.
PaySimple is a software that is designed to transform payment acceptance, billing, and customer management. However, it is designed for small business owners and might not be able to handle the complex requirements of enterprises.
- Payment option with recurring billing, instant payment, ACH payment, and eCheck processing, etc.
- Interactive management tools with dashboards, dispute resolution, manual payment entry and payout time entry
- The administration is made easy with user management, role management, and access management tools
- Highly secure environment with two-factor authentication and Fraud management tools
- PaySimple is one of the most reliable and high performance yielding platforms
- PCI compliance to ensure that a secure network is maintained
- Fraud protection tools, data tokenization, and POS verification are some of the security measures
- Excellent dunning features for collections, escalation, dispute management, etc.
- Billing automation allows user to automatically create and send invoices to predefined channels at the set or custom frequency
- Update or change in details is not an option, and the user has to redo the process completely
- Tad difficult and cumbersome for the new users to understand the software
- Pro: $49.95
- Enterprise: $99.95/month
USP: PaySimple is known for its excellent customer service, great payment features, and helpful tools.
Fiverr Workspace (formerly And.co) is a cloud-based solution created for freelancers or small business owners to manage their projects, track time, and create contracts. It comes with features like smart proposals that help seamlessly generate contracts and collect deposits.
- Automatic invoices, recurring invoices and customizable invoicing to add your logo to your invoices
- Create, customize and e-sign your own contracts as per your deal with the clients
- Streamline and organize your expenses by keeping them in one place and quickly accessing it with all the devices
- Get snap receipts, emails receipts, or even create recurring expenses
Task manager provides complete functionality stack with tracking, tagging, setting defer dates and more.
- Invoicing is made easy with payment reminders, smart deposits, and other features
- You can customize your proposals and contracts just by turning the clauses you like on or off, and you can even get your e-sign included
- Accept payments globally with no extra charges with AND.CO
- Excellent task management with task tagging, creation, and tracking of task lists, etc.
- You are not allowed to create templates for contracts and save them
- Can lose track of the tasks, projects or clients and time tracking is also tricky
It has two pricing plans. One that is free with limited feature utility and a pro plan that charges $18/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
USP: AND.CO is the best tool for freelancers or small business owners to manage everything from the proposal right up to the payment by saving a considerable chunk of time
Wave is a completely integrated simple invoicing software for small businesses. It is explicitly designed to serve companies with nine employees or fewer. It is a user-friendly system that helps you manage everything without your accountant
- Provides free accounting software with easily manageable cash flow and highly secure
- Organized, secure and accountant friendly accounting interface
- Allows you to create professional invoices quickly with no extra charge
- Send invoice from anywhere with the Wave mobile apps and get instant notifications as well
- Scan receipts with your phone, review, and sync with your Wave account
- Easy to set up and the interface is user-friendly
- Mobile apps help the user to track, create, or send their invoices remotely
- The biggest advantage of Wave is that it is free
- Payment has no card swipe option
- New feature addition without notification makes the interface clumsy for the users
It is entirely free, and you can set up an account to start generating invoices in minutes.
USP: Wave invoicing software is a free invoicing and tracking software that is a boon for small businesses with nine or fewer people and has mobile applications for providing complete ease of use.
Timely is a time-tracking software that automates the company’s time tracking and timesheet creation. Leveraging AI, Timely helps companies stay connected with their workforce and report accurately on their business – for payroll, project management, team management, and capacity planning.
By capturing all the time you spend on every document, presentation, meeting, and email, Timely lets you bill clients honestly and provide a detailed breakdown of all services rendered. And with integration with QuickBooks, Timely can draft invoices for all unbilled project work and send them to QuickBooks Online with a click.
- Real-time dashboards and live reports
- Invoice accurately for all billable hours
- Automatically track what you spend time on
- Helps teams stay on top of project performance and budget
- It takes under ten minutes to get up and running in Timely
- Reduces weekly timesheet admin from two hours to ten minutes.
- User-friendly Gorgeous design and intuitive controls
- Direct integration with Quickbooks and many other tools
- Access to Quickbooks required for invoicing clients
- Starts at $8/month for the Starter package
19. Invoice Ninja
Invoice Ninja is the best invoicing app for small business owners. It enables you to accept payments online, track billable hours, sync banking and transactions, and manage payables. It also comes with several templates to speed up the invoicing process.
- Recurring invoices
- Client payment profiles
- Auto-populate invoices and quotes
- Attach third-party files to client invoices
- Reporting, account aging, and client statements
- Payment gateway integration
- Proactive customer support
- Highly customizable to help you meet your unique needs
- Easy to use, intuitive interface
- Allows you to accept payments directly
- There are limits on project management
- Has a higher learning curve
- Mobile accessibility could be improved
- Setting up could be complex
- Free: $0 per year
- Ninja Pro: $100 per year
- Enterprise: $140 per year
20. Xero Accounting
Xero is an advanced online invoice app that lets you pay bills and claim expenses on the go. You can also use its mobile app to track your business expenses and invoices from anywhere. Furthermore, its 24/7 support helps you resolve all your queries instantly.
- Pay bills
- Claim expenses
- Integrate bank accounts
- Accept payments
- Track projects
- Keep payment records
- Inventory tracking
- Helps track invoices and profits from anywhere
- Easy to use, intuitive software that doesn’t require training
- Helps categorize and check invoice progress
- The mobile app offers a convenient way to access your financial information
- Lacks delivery notes and packing slips
- Bank reconciliation could be glitchy at times
- Does not have a tax add-on feature
- Could be expensive for small businesses
- Starter: $25 per month
- Standard: $40 per month
- Premium: $54 per month
Invoices are a critical part of any product and service-based company. Use any of the above-mentioned tools to streamline your invoicing process. Plus, you can quickly get started with any of these and give your business a good head start.
Frequently Asked Questions
When your business grows, your invoicing tools must adapt, as well. Microsoft Word and Excel will no longer be suitable at some point and can be a burden. Here's how to choose the best free billing app:
- Know your business needs
- Identify your software integration requirements
- Consider your budget
- Compare the features of different packages
By using the best billing app, you can improve cash flow and manage your financial business effortlessly, saving you time and effort. It also makes it easier to get paid on time.
Some popular invoicing apps for small businesses include myBillBook, Chargebee, and Quickbooks.
Here are some disadvantages of using an online invoice app:
- Due to email server flagging, invoices may go into spam folders, causing payment delays.
- Getting in touch with offline customers who do not have internet access is challenging.
- Purchasing and credit issues result from irregular updates.
- More prone to data theft over the Internet
Following are some of the most everyday challenges in the free invoice maker app:
- Late payments
- Processing delays
- There is a potential for duplicate invoices or invoices that disappear.
- A lot of standalone systems
- A lack of visibility
Amaey Anand is a certified accountant with over 10 years of experience in the finance industry. He has worked with various organizations to streamline their petty cash management processes and reduce inefficiencies. He has also written several articles on financial management for leading publications such as Zensuggest and The Wall Street Journal.